Did you know...
Just how much do you know about the state of children in America? How about in California?
Read below and you will be surprised to find out what is really going on with our children.
This information has been provided to you by The Children's Defense Fund.
Moments in America for all children
- Every second a public school student is suspended.*
- Every 9 seconds a high school student drops out.*
- Every 13 seconds a public school student is corporally punished.*
- Every 20 seconds a child is arrested.
- Every 22 seconds a baby is born to an unmarried mother.
- Every 35 seconds a child is confirmed as abused or neglected.
- Every 35 seconds a baby is born into poverty.
- Every 38 seconds a baby is born to a mother who is not a high school graduate.
- Every 51 seconds a baby is born without health insurance.
- Every minute a baby is born to a teen mother.
- Every 2 minutes a baby is born at low birthweight.
- Every 4 minutes a child is arrested for drug abuse.
- Every 4 minutes a baby is born to a mother who received late or no prenatal care.
- Every 8 minutes a child is arrested for violent crimes.
- Every 19 minutes a baby dies before his first birthday.
- Every 41 minutes a child or teen dies in an accident.
- Every 3 hours a child or teen is killed by a firearm.
- Every 5 hours a child or teen commits suicide.
- Every 6 hours a child is killed by abuse or neglect.
- Every day a mother dies in childbirth.
* Based on calculations per school day (180 days of seven hours each)
Where America Stands
Among industrialized countries, the United States ranks:
- 1st in military technology
- 1st in Gross Domestic Product
- 1st in the number of millionaires and billionaires
- 1st in health technology
- 1st in military exports
- 1st in defense spending
- 10th in eighth-grade science scores
- 11th in the proportion of children living in poverty
- 16th in living standards among the poorest one-fifth of children
- 16th in efforts to lift children out of poverty
- 17th in rates of low-birthweight births
- 18th in the income gap between rich and poor children
- 21st in eighth-grade math scores
- 22nd in infant mortality
- Last in protecting our children against gun violence
Children's Defense Fund